About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier, birder and amateur arachnologist. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a wildlife conservationist working in the tiger reserves of central India with Satpuda Foundation.

This blog is for aboriginal breed enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (Indian Pariah) and INDog-mix mongrels are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive natural breed called the Indian Pariah Dog/INDog. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too.

Sunday, April 12, 2009

An INDog in Berlin



Above: Elke with Indy (aged four months) at Red Fort, Agra, where she first met him


Above: First day at his new home


Above: Lake Grunewaldsee, Berlin
Below: Posing nicely!




This is Indy, another lucky little INDog whose life was changed by a very kind dog lover. He was born in Agra but has been living in Berlin for many years now, with his rescuer Elke Winkler.

Elke told me his story:


One day, in the year 1999, on my visit to India I met a little dog, very young, skinny and dirty. I was very concerned and contacted an animal welfare organization for help.


Finally, back in Germany, after I read a book about the situation of strays in India, I decided to take this dog home with me to Germany. This happened three months later.


The day I took him with me, we went by taxi to the airport and the driver asked me: "Where did you get this dog from, he looks so beautiful?" So I told him, "From the street. If you treat them well they will all look the same."


I never regret that I took him with me, he is great and adapted himself very well in this country.
In Germany when I walk with him, people ask me very often what pedigree he is and I am always very proud to say that he is an Indian dog. He is ten years old and a bit wiser now but still playful. He is just wonderful!

Elke Winkler
Berlin, Germany


Rajashree's note: Elke
remained in contact with the NGO who had helped Indy, People For Animals, Agra. She returns there regularly in her vacation time to volunteer at their shelter.

No comments: