About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier and birder. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a wildlife conservationist working in the tiger reserves of central India with Satpuda Foundation.

This blog is for aboriginal breed enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (Indian Pariah) and INDog-mix mongrels are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive natural breed called the Indian Pariah Dog/INDog. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too.

Friday, May 14, 2010


Angel was one of the three or four dogs that I would feed biscuits, outside my office...she was always at a distance but at the same time the most trusting of them all (at least it looked like that).

She needed medical attention and I finally mustered the courage to pick her up from the street and take her to a vet, end of December '09. She stayed at the vet's clinic for a month as she needed medical attention for a venereal tumour and skin infections. It was the vet's grandchildren who gave her the name "Angel."

She has ever since been with me.

I did try, and every once in a while keep trying, to look out for a home that would do justice to her...I am a working person and I have to leave my dog and the cat at home for a while (separated of course) when I am at work. Somehow she has been true to her name, she's such an Angel...she has never been troublesome and has adapted to my life. Somewhere inside I know she will remain with me!

Sarabjeet Kaur

Rajashree's note: This is so like my adoption of Lalee! I had admitted her to an NGO birth control centre to be spayed and she picked up Canine Distemper. I rushed her to the Parel hospital for treatment and she spent 10 days there, after which I brought her home to nurse her back to health. The plan was to return her to the golf course where she had originally lived. Then the plan changed and she was going to be our Nagaon dog. Then she got severe eczema and had to stay in our Mumbai apartment a little bit longer. Then of course it became obvious that she wasn't going anywhere! I used to work in an NGO at that time and would be out of the house for five or six hours a day. Like Sarabjeet I had guilt pangs about leaving her alone for so long, though there were two maids who came to the house at that time. But she isn't the kind of dog who needs company continuously and she adapted beautifully. Even now that she has Bandra and Puppy for company, she tends to sit apart from them most of the time.

No comments: