About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier, birder and amateur arachnologist. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a wildlife conservationist working in the tiger reserves of central India with Satpuda Foundation.

This blog is for aboriginal breed enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (Indian Pariah) and INDog-mix mongrels are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive natural breed called the Indian Pariah Dog/INDog. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too.

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Anjuna Two

From Goa to Germany - Anjuna's story by Marlies Meister:

My first INDog found me in November 1995 in Goa. I called her Anjuna One.

She was about six weeks old and sick. I asked an Indian family to feed the little dog, because I had to go back to Germany.

In April 1996 I flew back to Goa. Anjuna was in a very bad condition, but with the help from a vet in Mapusa who could give her the right medicines she finally got better and two weeks later I could fly back to Germany with Anjuna One.

A year later she was healthy. She was a very special dog, very confident, proud, and big in personality. We called her "Princess of India."

She died on December 2nd 2006 in a tragic accident in Anjuna, when we were there together on vacation.
It was a very sad holiday and in mid-December I flew back to Germany.

I left Anjuna's crate back in Goa. I wanted to look for another INDog to take back to Germany on my next visit to Goa.

Above: Anjuna One the day before she died

The day before Anjuna One died, a small unwanted dog was born on a beach in Goa.

An English tourist brought the little dog to IAR (International Animal Rescue) in Assagao at the end of December 2006.

I flew back to Goa in March 2007 thinking to fill Anjuna's empty crate with an unwanted INDog puppy.
As soon as I had landed and rested I went straight to IAR to look for a new four-legged companion.

I saw a very skinny and sick puppy looking at me and felt in love immediately. It was a little lady. To me it was Anjuna Two.

The staff told me that no-one knew what was wrong with her, she didn’t want to eat, to drink, to walk, was just too weak to do anything.

I wanted to take her. After doing the paperwork I got a lot of different pills and medications, and had to come every day for infusion. But her condition didn’t get better. One step forward, two steps back. She was so sick and I felt so helpless.

Above: Anjuna Two, two days after being taken from IAR

After ten days I was thinking of bringing her back to IAR. It seemed to me impossible to bring such a skinny and sick dog to Germany.

But who would like to take her? No one wants to adopt a very sick puppy.

I was thinking and thinking … But it seemed to me like a sign that she was born one day before Anjuna One died.

I was struggling to give her all the medication; she was struggling to stay alive. I wanted to do the right thing… and decided to bring her to Germany.

I had no documents and Anjuna Two had no vaccinations because of how ill she was.

The airline was the biggest problem. Puppies…not allowed, sick animals… not allowed. But I wanted to try to get her on the flight. It was March 22nd, the day of our departure. The airline was informed that I was returning home with a dog. I put lots of sarongs and lungis in the crate, one could only see her face. We passed the screening and I had to take her out of the crate – no problem. Check in – nobody had a look at my dog – except the “foreigners” flying back home.

That took a load off my mind. I said to myself if she survived the long flight then she would survive. And I was so happy that she was still alive when we reached Frankfurt airport!

We had to pass customs and I was asked for Anjuna Two’s documents. Sorry, but I didn’t have any documents.

I was told that there are three ways to handle it: back home to India, put to sleep or quarantine. What a question … quarantine!

I had to sign some papers, was informed that Anjuna Two had to spend the night at the animal station at Frankfurt airport and would be picked up by an animal shelter from Ruesselsheim, where all confiscated dogs and cats are brought for quarantine. I should call the director next day. I travelled home alone.

Next day I received a call from the Department of Environment and was asked to approve to pay for all costs at the quarantine station – so I did. Then I called the Director of the animal shelter at Ruesselsheim and talked to this lady about my dog Anjuna Two.

I was told that they would pick up Anjuna Two in the evening. We talked about Anjuna's severity of symptoms, medication in India, bad conditions and so on.

The animal shelter wanted to do a big blood check immediately to see what was wrong with Anjuna Two. I was told if I would like to see her I could come and visit her whenever I wanted to. That was so kind and I was very happy.

The day after was my first ride to Ruesselsheim to see my puppy again. As she was so skinny and small she was living in a cat house (3 sq m), could leave her house through a cat door to make her pee-pee, and go outside (10 sq m). Very comfortable lodging and lots of toys to play with. Anjuna Two was so happy to see me and fell in a deep sleep the moment she was in my arms. The Director informed me that they already had done a major check on her.

I got the results three days later: Anjuna Two was still alive! She was suffering from Babesiosis, also called dog malaria. Dogs get infected by a tick bite and it leads to death quite soon. Babesiosis destroys all internal organs. She had already received an injection called Carbesia with Imizol.

Four days later I could see my puppy – and what a difference!

She was eating, drinking and playing. Later I could walk with her outside in a separate area, where two tigers would live after being rescued from a circus.

Above: Day 12 at the quarantine station

Above: Day 29 at the quarantine station

Anjuna Two got all the required vaccinations and could leave the quarantine station on April 25th.

Above: Day One at her new home...and very tired

A Babesiosis check-up was required four weeks later by my vet at home – the vet gave us the “all clear” and finally our new life together could begin!

Above: Day 3 - No sandy beaches but green meadows and new friends teaching her how to catch mice

Above: Five days in freedom

Above: Ginger, Sunanda and Anjuna Two

Above: June 2007

Above: One year later - April 2008

Above: December 2009 - lots of new friends

Above: November 2007 - back in Goa after eight months, and fit for fun

Above: January 2011 - travelling to Goa every year

Above: Goa, November 2008

Above: Goa 2009

Above: March 2008

Above: February 2011 - New friend at Candolim?

Anjuna Two is a very special dog. So was Anjuna One. She is very confident, proud, has a real personality to her, but not a “Princess” like Anjuna One. She is just like a dog!

I love to travel to Goa with Anjuna Two as I did with Anjuna One. She has all the needed papers to travel to Goa and return back home to Germany. She seems to be very relaxed on our journeys by plane, car, train, Tuk Tuk or boat. I don’t know if she would like para gliding!

It is great to watch her recognizing all her friends on the beach. She is walking proudly, waggling her tail, saying “Look at me, I have a Green card.”

She likes sun and sandy beaches, but also green meadows and snow!

Above: End of the story with snow!

Story and Photos: Marlies Meister


Sarah said...

Fantastic story, thank you for sharing! You must be an expert now but was it ever difficult going back and forth every year between India and Germany. I'm guessing not as stressful as the first time bringing Anjuna Two back.

Marlies said...

Hi Sarah, yes, the first time was a bit stressful because I had no documents except papers of adoption. But now it is easy as long as I follow the rules. EU-pet-passport is required, micro chip, rabies vac by my vet and a blood-check done by a german seriological institution to fix the rabies-Titre (rabies anti bodies). Titre has to be greater than or equal to 0.5 IU/ml. This paper is valid life long, when the dog gets rabies-vac every year. The Titre-test and valid rabies-vac are the most important documents for returning back to Germany. Even the rules for UK are getting much easier from 01.01.2012. Please don't hesitate if you have questions. Love from Mannheim from Marlies, Anjuna and Kim (cat)

wandereress said...

Lovely story!I am very happy to read it. Thanks Marlies. :)