About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier, birder and amateur arachnologist. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a wildlife conservationist working in the tiger reserves of central India with Satpuda Foundation.

This blog is for aboriginal breed enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (Indian Pariah) and INDog-mix mongrels are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive natural breed called the Indian Pariah Dog/INDog. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too.

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Guuchu

Guuchu is a village pup from the 24 Parganas area of West Bengal. And like all INDog pups, he's beautiful, bright-eyed and highly intelligent!

Guuchu's owner Sourav Purkayastha wrote in about his cute new family member:




















I had asked the lady who cooks for us to look out for some deshi pups in her area.

She lives in a distant village area, far away from the main city.

She informed me as soon as she found a litter of pups with their mother by the roadside near her house. She started feeding them occasionally. I went to see them. They were just about two months old.

I offered some treats to them and eventually they became friendlier and came near me to smell me and check me out. I followed the advice of a famous trainer on choosing my pup. After thorough examination and observation I chose the low/medium energy pup of the litter, since that is the energy level of our family. So I think he will be a fine pet, but time will tell.







In his first seven days in our house I could see that he was mellow, calm and composed, and very well-behaved. He already seemed housebroken, doesn't pee in the house, whines for me to take him outside and then does his 'business' immediately and returns inside without my having to say a word. We feed him chicken, rice, egg, fish, some vegetables. He loves it. 

At first hesitant, this little guy now loves going for a walk with me every morning around the block. I supervise him closely.







































































Overall I just love the energy that he brings into our family! And he's so cute he makes me want to constantly cuddle him.

I would love it if more and more people brought INDogs into their homes. They are so low-maintenance, perfect for the Indian climate, and a healthy and hardy race. Thanks to Mother Nature.

Photos and text: Sourav Purkayastha
Shyamnagar
West Bengal

Please do not use images or content from this site without permission and acknowledgment

1 comment:

Ashish said...

Haha.. Nice name :) Cute Pup!!