Our photos from an outing in the monsoons!
We went with a small group of Kiran's friends.
Subedar Falls is in the Sahyadri mountains, and not far from Mumbai. It's a pretty place and an easy walk, though you have to clamber over rocks to cross the second stream and reach the waterfall (neither Kiba nor I cared for that part). Sitting near the falls was very nice though, and so was the walk across the fields.
We were guided by two young men from the nearby village Sandshi. A very friendly village dog came along with them; probably owned by one of the men. Kiba is not at all friendly with other dogs, so we took care to keep some distance between the two of them. We had packed the K Gang's lunch and carried it with us, and we gave some to our cute canine guide too. You can see him in the background in the pictures below.
The Gang LOVE these outings; all the new sights, smells, fresh air, exercise!
If you're new to this blog, you might like some of our earlier family outing posts:
Kiba and Kimaya go rock-climbing
The K Gang trek to Sunset Point
Running from Diwali
The K Gang at sea
NOTE: The top priority must be to keep your dog safe. Some things to remember if you'd like to take your dog/s trekking:
- If you are not a regular trekker, it's best to get an experienced trekker to accompany you
- Make sure to carry at least 2 litres of cool water (thermal bottles are nice) and a bowl
- Some basic medication in case of cuts and scratches, and a vet-recommended anti-histamine just in case of bad insect bites or stings
- Avoid forested areas with possible leopard presence
- Get a local guide if necessary; getting lost will not be fun
- Let your dog rest if he wants to; never force him to walk if he needs a break
- Avoid trekking in hot weather
- DO NOT LET YOUR DOG/S OFF LEASH
- Stick to the path and don't let your dogs go deep into long grass; there may be snakes
- Feed your dogs one or two hours before leaving your home. Avoid feeding them during the trek or during any other strenuous exercise.